This is the age of smartphones. Practically everything and anything can be accomplished using smartphones. These phones are no longer used only for making calls. It is so passe. Today, smartphones are used for sending messages, taking photos, completing tasks, watching movies, browsing the net, and the list goes on and on. A simple smartphone can accomplish the greatest of tasks with ease. As the use of smartphones increases every day, more and more innovative features are being added.
While discussing smartphones, it is imperative to mention the most common operating system used in smartphones: the Android operating system that powers these smartphones. The Android operating system offers countless opportunities for customization and access when compared to similar operating systems. It has no restrictions on installing various apps. Hence, Android is the most preferred system in phones.
Sometimes, however, this may become an issue as some may go overboard by installing apps more than they actually need. It then becomes difficult to manage all these apps. Take the case of a web browser, for instance. Many web browsers are available today, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, DuckDuckGo, Brave, and Opera. Sometimes many users install more than one web browser and may erroneously set up the wrong browser as the default web browser on Android.
There is no need to despair. Even though the process is slightly lengthy, you can still go to the system setting, remove the default app permissions, and make the necessary changes. So let’s start the process with the step-by-step instructions for changing the default web browser on Android.
- From the Android device, go to the settings options and select the App or App Management feature.
- From here, go to the ‘Default Apps’ option. Sometimes this option is not mentioned under a separate heading. In such cases, simply click on the three dots mentioned at the top and then select the ‘Default Apps’ option.
- Under the Default Apps section, the Browser App option will be mentioned. Click or tap on it. Once this action is done, it will show all the browser apps installed on the device.
- Now select carefully the web browser you want to set as a default.
That is all required to change the default web browser settings on your Android device. It is best to have a default web browser on your android device. If not, every time you want to browse the internet, you will be given a set of browser options to select. This can be a little irritating and also a waste of time. So it is always best to have a default browser set on your Android device. And as seen from the above details, setting up a default web browser on an Android device is very simple task and does not involve rocket science. So, when the Android device offers so much flexibility to customize your device, why not go ahead and make use of this feature.
WHY CHANGE THE DEFAULT BROWSER ON ANDROID
Most browsers offer main features such as saving passwords, bookmarking pages, etc. If your needs are limited, you can stick to one default browser. However, many browsers are improvising themselves and offering newer and more innovative features. This makes the change necessary. Here are a few innovative features of some prominent web browsers:
- CHROME: Chrome offers secure and robust password creation and helps to have a web browsing history. It can also automatically translate pages to another language. If Chromecast is available, then Chrome is ideal for those who want to browse the internet on their TV. The downside or disadvantage is that it can be a little slow on some expensive computers.
- MICROSOFT EDGE: It has options to read the web pages aloud and mark up web pages with your finger on the screen. So it is ideal for those with sight issues and those who annotate a lot. The downside is that it needs a family account to be set up before the parental control can be activated.
- SAFARI: This web browser works specifically for Apple Macs and iPhones. The biggest con is that it cannot be downloaded on any device other than Apple. Regarding its features, the Safari web browser enables users to save pages to iCloud and read them even when there is no internet. It can also generate strong passwords automatically. The disadvantage is that there are not many customizations options for themes and colors.
- OPERA: Opera is available on Mac, iPhone, Google Android, and Windows. It has a free VPN service to stop hackers and prevent your data from being stolen, especially when using public wi-fi. The web pages also load faster when compared with Chrome. This web browser is ideal for those who want a fast browser and at the same time have a high level of security requirements. The downside is that Opera does not offer any parental controls and the VPN service only works on the computer version of the browser.
- FIREFOX: The best part of this web browser is that device manufacturers have not created just as Opera discussed above. So it can work on Mac, Windows, Google Android, etc. It has many safety features to offer, such as a scanner to check items while being downloaded. It also stops ads from following you on the internet. Firefox is ideal for those who want to be safe while browsing the internet. On the cons side, parental controls can only be set up on a PC.
With so much variety available for web browsers, it is best to decide which feature works best for you. Accordingly, you can go ahead, select the desired web browser and then, using the steps mentioned above, easily change the default web browser on your Android. By so doing, you can use your default browser to open links automatically and perform other activities smoothly. So go ahead and have hassle-free and safe web browsing with the preferred web browser as default.