The title may seem a little perplexing. How is it possible to delete a file or folder that is undeletable? When you examine some situations, you will understand the title’s meaning. No doubt, you often might have come across a problem wherein you tried to delete a file or folder. All that had to be done was right-click on the file and press the delete button. Voila! The file is deleted immediately. However, some have repeated this action many times and found that the file or folder refuses to get deleted despite repeated attempts. So, what could be the reason?
There are two leading causes for being unable to delete the files or folders in Windows 10. They are
- Windows locked the file or folder as the PC or computer required it to work correctly.
- There is malware that is preventing from deleting files and folders.
However, there is no reason to get disheartened. Technology offers a ready-made solution for this sort of problem. Yes, there are various methods to delete the undeletable file and folders in Windows 10.
- Go to the Windows search box and open it. Type CMD in the search bar and select ‘Run as Administrator.
- Now find the folder where the file is stored. For this, do a right-click action, go to Properties, and then go to Details. Now to navigate the folder, type the command: cd folderpath ( Remember to replace the folderpath phrase with the actual path of the saved file).
- To execute the delete command, type: del /f /s <filename> ( replace the filename with the actual file name that you want to be deleted. Also, remember to include the file name’s extension, such as .txt,.xls, etc.)
- From the command prompt, type ‘Y’ and press the Enter key for confirmation.
Thus, in just four easy steps, using the command prompt, you can delete the undeletable files and folders in Windows 10.
IObit Unlocker is a powerful tool to delete undeletable files. It works systematically by terminating all related processes, which prevents the files from getting deleted. To accomplish this,
- Firstly, IObit Unlocker should be downloaded and installed on the computer.
- Then open the tool. After that, drag and drop the file that you want to get deleted. Another method is to right-click on the file and then select IObit Unlocker.
- Tick on the box titled ‘Forced Mode,’ and then choose the ‘Unlock & delete’ option from the drop-down menu.
So by using the IObit Unlocker, you can delete even the undeletable files and folders.
Another alternative to deleting undeletable files and folders in Windows 10 is by using third-party software. Some good softwares are available that can forcefully delete the files and folders. For Example,
- UNLOCKER: This tool helps delete stubborn files that cannot be deleted in the standard way. So if you encounter a situation wherein you get an error message stating that the file is being used by another application and hence cannot be erased, then Unlocker offers the perfect solution.
- XL DELETE: This tool comes with a powerful wipe engine to permanently delete all sensitive and private files and even internet cookies, history, and cache files.
- LOCKHUNTER: Lockhunter specializes in scanning and detecting malware that prevents files from deleting. Another great feature is that it deletes the files and puts them into the recycle Bin. So users have the option to restore them if required.
- NOVIRUSTHANKS FILE GOVERNOR: More advanced than Lockhunter, this tool allows users to unlock files and folders which were unable to do so due to malware or virus. In addition, it also provides information if the files or folders you want to delete are being used by any other user/program and other vital info. The users can identify and fix the problem and then delete the stubborn file accordingly.
- EMCO UNLOCK IT: As the name suggests, this tool detects the list of locking processes and then unlocks the resource by closing the file and library handles.
SOME TIPS TO DELETE THE UNDELETABLE FILES/FOLDER
- Close all the open programs that might be using the file or related folder
- Open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Shift+Exc key and then click on End task to end the suspicious programs
- Do a complete virus scan to remove any viruses or malware in the computer.
- Empty the recycle Bin to make some space in the Bin
- Remove the protection on the SD card, USB, Drive, etc
Mentioned above are just a few ways to remove the undeletable files and folders in Windows 10. In addition, you can also reset your Windows 10 PC or revert back your operating system to a previous state. So, as can be seen from this article, there are various ways to delete the undeletable files and folders from Windows 10.